July 24, 2009
POLITICS: Not A Sparrow Falls From The Sky.....

So President Obama called Mark Buehrle after Buehrle's perfect game, and....

Buehrle explained after the call that Obama also "was taking a little bit of credit because he wore the White Sox jacket at the All-Star Game and I told him how surprised I was that he actually did it.

Yes, I know Obama was trying (unsuccessfully) to crack funny here, but in humor there is sometimes truth - of course, The One's first natural instinct in making a call of congratulations is, "how can I claim credit for this?"

(As Ben Domenech asks, "how many perfect games have you created or saved today?")

Posted by Baseball Crank at 9:07 AM | Politics 2009 | Comments (14) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

Per Rasmussen, Obumbler under 50% approval rating for the first time. But don't worry he will not take credit for that-it will either be the the fault of the republicans who control nothing in DC, the congressional Dems, Fox News, or George Bush for his low numbers. Anything but his socialist economic policies or peace through weakness foreign policy.

9 months too late, but the majority of the american people finally got it right.

Posted by: dch at July 24, 2009 10:38 AM

It is now official you are unhinged. How many true fans of any team in any sports does not say the same thing when they wear there lucky jersey or any other paraphernalia and good fortune happens upon said team?
Somehow you found a way to paint Obama in a negative light for being a regular fan of the Sox.

No wonder conservatives are circling the drain. I want my old Crank back.

Posted by: javaman at July 24, 2009 11:20 AM

This is officially the dumbest post of all-time.

No wonder you all think Dennis Miller is funny. You are completely impervious to even the slightest bit of humor. Do you think Buerhle was offended or do you think he got it? Seems like he did and seems like you don't. Wow.

Posted by: jim at July 24, 2009 11:51 AM

dch, I never get overly excited by one poll. But clearly, there's been a spate of polls lately suggesting that the American public isn't really all that enamored of the headlong rush to the left. When you have Corzine down 15 points and even Barbara Boxer below 50% re-elect in California, something is up.

I don't think the public's ready to bail on Obama just yet, but I do think a lot of people are casting a much more skeptical eye and starting to evaluate him on his actual job performance rather than more superficial appeals.

Posted by: Crank at July 24, 2009 12:04 PM

Hey liberal trolls, if you're looking for sycophancy, you should have figured out to go elsewhere. If you think this is meant as a serious critique of the president, it's you who have become unhinged... Lighten up.

Posted by: Joel in Seattle at July 24, 2009 12:52 PM

Hey, javaman and jim:

I smirked at what Buehrle/Obama said (and I'm an Indians fan!). I also smirked at what Crank and Domenech said. But, really, how hard should I be laughing for you? Should I be rolling on the floor over a sardonic joke? Let me know your standards for a sense of humor.

And, hey, as a fan, I might look for some correlation between my behavior and the performance of the team for which I root (in a self-satirical, ironic fashion). I doubt I would say (but I haven't been in this situation, so who knows!), directly to a player, "I wore that shirt 9 days ago and that helped you [complete amazing feat] today." But don't worry, this President is one of the smartest and most rational ever. (See, that's a sarcastic joke, not an actual attack on the President. When he talked to Buehrle, I assume Obama was also being somewhat satirical/ironic. You better let out at least a couple guffaws, or I'll have to accuse you of being "impervious to even the slightest bit of humor.")

Posted by: DKH at July 24, 2009 1:06 PM

I realize this is somewhat OT, but I am struck by the fact that the vast majority of perfect games have come since the 1960s. Perfect games were incredibly rare prior to that.

Posted by: feeblemind at July 24, 2009 1:14 PM

Better fielders, smaller parks... pretty simple

Posted by: Mark at July 24, 2009 1:36 PM

"Better fielders, smaller parks..."

Don't forget expanded leagues so that 1/3 to 1/2 of the lineup wouldn't have been 'major-league' before the 60's.

Posted by: Bensdad00 at July 24, 2009 2:29 PM

"Better fielders, smaller parks"

Wouldn't smaller parks assist hitters by making some previously playable balls uncatchable? I suppose it could also allow fielders to move around such that previously uncovered areas could now be covered more easily. I'm not sure whether this helps batters or pitchers and would appreciate a link or some analysis.

Bensdad:

The US population in 1960s was under 200 million. Now it's over 300 million, not to mention improved access for minorities in the US, or for players from other countries. So there are more teams, but there is also a larger pool of people from which players can be drawn.

Posted by: DKH at July 24, 2009 3:09 PM

DKH,

I have the feeling neither one was really joking so much as they were eye-rolling. Not every joke has to send you to the floor laughing (do you all really not even understand humor?) I'd bet everyone on here has done the exact same thing with a friend, co-worker, team, etc. (that would be, jokingly taking credit for something completely insignificant or unrelated to someone/thing else's success).

In terms of the game, I think on this site and certainly The Hardball Times it has been shown that the vast majority of no-hitters are thrown against teams with horrendous line-ups. Not that game. The Rays pretty much fielded their starters and that's a pretty damn good offensive team. I'm sure someone will do it but that has to be one of the better line-ups to be no-hit and maybe the best ever to have a perfect game thrown against it.

Posted by: jim at July 24, 2009 4:28 PM

Lame.

This post is worth only one word.

Posted by: Magrooder at July 24, 2009 11:35 PM

Crank, these guys fall for this every single time. It's like Stupid-Bait.

"Mustn't poke fun at Obama the same way we lit on every Bush utterance as proof of his chimphood!"

Posted by: spongeworthy at July 25, 2009 10:48 AM

"Lame.

This post is worth only one word.
Posted by Magrooder at July 24, 2009 11:35 PM "

And yet you needed eight words to say it was only worth one. Hmmm?

Posted by: largebill at July 25, 2009 11:17 AM