August 19, 2009
BASEBALL: Field of Nightmares

Back from Citi Field tonight: it's my third trip this year, counting the preseason exhibition, and I have yet to see the Mets enter the third inning with a chance to win the game.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 10:34 PM | Baseball 2009 | Comments (9) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

Even by 2009 Mets standards, this was an unfortunate choice of game to attend.

Posted by: Jerry at August 20, 2009 11:03 AM

You're depressing me. You seem so down on what is clearly a bad year for the Mets. I actually don't want to mock the Mets or their fans because I feel badly. How did it come to this??? I'm clearly getting weak in my old age...
/ Phillies fan

Posted by: Mark D at August 20, 2009 12:02 PM

I was there last night too. Rooting for the other team. Sorry about that. On the plus side, the stadium is awesome.

Posted by: Sergio at August 20, 2009 12:08 PM

Feels a lot like the Brewers. Nothing like getting swept by the last-place team.

Posted by: steveegg at August 20, 2009 1:11 PM

Amazingly, this is on course to be only the 22nd worst season in Mets history, although it's certainly one of the three or four most disappointing (1992 and 2002 are probably the other top contenders).

Incidentally, I noticed that the '93 Mets managed to go 59-103 against a Pythagorean projection of 73-89. I don't know if that's the worst underperformance ever, but it's got to be up there.

Posted by: Jerry at August 20, 2009 4:53 PM

I'm a Phillies fan, so by all means, please keep going!

Posted by: BD57 at August 20, 2009 7:42 PM

Maybe it's time to try that other NY stadium...

Posted by: MVH at August 22, 2009 7:42 AM

Prepare for more of the same for the near future:

Posted by: Jack Bauer's Dad at August 23, 2009 2:57 PM

I don't wish you bad luck but the way Francouer is hitting they will sign him to a long term contract which will doom you for another few seasons.

Posted by: Walter Guest at August 24, 2009 1:30 AM