September 3, 2009
POLITICS: Hey, Look At Those...Wait, Don't Look!

Jonah Goldberg makes an excellent point about EJ Dionne that goes beyond just Dionne: the liberals complaining about media coverage of town hall health care protestors are the same people who just a few weeks ago were deliberately drawing attention to those protestors in an effort to discredit opponents of the health care bill. Uh, oops. The Administration did the same thing. And is now - not coincidentally - pushing the same line as Dionne.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 12:25 PM | Politics 2009 | Comments (13) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

the funny thing is that when you talk to people or listen to the media they keep talking about the GOP led protests, the Republicans this, the Republicans that-yes the Republicans are the main beneficiary election wise, but they are not leading these protests or the Tea party movement. This is a wide spread repudiation of the out of control spending that this administration has unleashed in the last 9 months. The numbers show mass erosion of Obama's support with Independents, conservative dems. and Hispancs to name a few Hell, the Republicans were getting ready to roll over on health care until the protests started and Republican lawmakers have been booed and attacked at tea party gatherings all over the country.

Posted by: dch at September 3, 2009 1:40 PM

"Meanwhile, in California, a 65-year-old health care bill protestor had most of a finger bitten off by a MoveOn activist. Charming."
Generally, when you punch someone in the face, and then scuffle with them, you should beware what happens.

Crank, what is your proscribed method of telling protectors how to punch someone in the face with no sense of harm coming back? Personally, I advise them not to strike people first, but that's just me.

BONUS! Medicare probably paid for the reattachment.

"This is a wide spread repudiation"
No, it's not. It's a tantrum for people who chose to ignore 30 years of spending, and then saw themselves and their party get their clock cleaned over the past 2 years, combined with a dangerous recession.
The difference in spending this year vs. last is not that great. Hint - the reason I know this is because I know how a budget works.

Posted by: Dave at September 3, 2009 5:06 PM

So, finger bitten off - appropriate response, eh? Nice.

Posted by: Crank at September 3, 2009 5:20 PM

"So, finger bitten off - appropriate response, eh? Nice."
Where did I say appropriate? I said beware of consequences when you punch someone. And it was only the tip, which is like the most useless part. And asked for your advice on how to avoid harm after resorting to violence when your argument fails.

You should volunteer for an ambulance corps Crank, or an emergency room(more family, less blood). I don't know if you know this, but sometimes people respond with being punched in the face and then 'scuffling' with them with a knife or a gun. And kicking, pulling hair, thowing bricks and .... well, I think you get the idea. Not appropriate responses at all. Unless you're the one with the brick.

And yes, while scuffling, biting of things in the area of the mouth. Including if fingers go near, or in. Yes, while pushing someone in the face if you're both in a grapple, sometimes a finger can slip inside the mouth. True, I've only seen bite marks on the web between the thumb and finger or palm, but close.

You know, it's funny. Your post mentions "bitten" but doesn't mention "after being punched". It's almost as if leaving out this part of information changes the view of what happened. Then again, it also mentions activist when it could have been a random proponent. Ah well, flaws happen.

Posted by: Dave at September 3, 2009 5:56 PM

You're trying to backtrack here to who started this, which is at best unclear here; but the fact that your instinct is to blame the guy who got bitten is telling.

As for the Medicare bit, how interesting that the hospital's first response was to release information about a patient's insurance status. But I guess if you're covered by the taxpayers, privacy's not really on the table anymore.

Posted by: Crank at September 3, 2009 6:08 PM

Punched by a 65-year-old man? Get real. I'd have backed off, said "get him off me," pressed charges, whatnot. Severing an appendage with my teeth is not on the damn list. I don't engage in violence with old men. That's sick.

Posted by: tsmonk at September 4, 2009 11:21 AM

"but the fact that your instinct is to blame the guy who got bitten is telling."

He has admitted throwing the first punch in both print and TV interviews. The statements of both the police and those around for it back this up. I generally do blame the person who threw the first punch, but then again I have a problem with instigating violence with a political discussion.

It is in no way unclear. Please review his statements and the statements of those around it, it's only unclear if you want it to be.

You also don't know if he signed a release with the hospital, or did any other waiving of this. And it would be a pretty obvious question to ask of the hospital if the person is 65+, and is having medical care.

I have not backtracked at all. You either have not read the story or don't care to. I would post links to these stories, but things have been caught in the filter recently and end up in a holding pattern. I understand this, I'm not saying you're hiding links which are contrary.

"Get real. I'd have backed off"
People don't engage rationally when in a fight. What if you were a 66 year old, got punched and then a finger stuck in your mouth? A 32 year old with MS? Had a heart attack the previous year. Was mugged the last week, thought the person who punched you might have a knife in his back pocket?

Posted by: Dave at September 4, 2009 4:34 PM

I'm trying to get that freaking finger out of my mouth as soon as possible. That you would entertain the notion of biting it off as a plausible option would be the epitome of TMI about you.

Posted by: tsmonk at September 4, 2009 8:38 PM

"That you would entertain the notion of biting it off as a plausible option would be the epitome of TMI about you."
Not plausible or reasonable option, plausible and possible outcome. Again, I've seen biting as a result of fights. And bricks. I saw a friend take a beer bottle to the back of the head, which is not a plausible response either, and heard tales of friends in England who were around glassings. And more. None of these are appropriate or advisable.

Posted by: Dave at September 4, 2009 11:07 PM

"The fact is that you are saying this in a calm, rational manner. Much of which goes away fast when punched in the face, let alone grappled with."

Not to the degree of biting someone's finger off. Look, I'll make it easy for you. If these sides werre idealogically switched, there is no way I'd try and justify this act, and I'd probably mention what an embarassment it is for "our side".

Posted by: tsmonk at September 5, 2009 9:52 AM

"Not to the degree of biting someone's finger off. "
And I wouldn't pull my knife on someone and stab them. But I'm not saying this after being punched in the face by a stranger, and being wrestled with, and. And that's part of what you have to consider- you have no idea who this person who has just punched you in the face is capable of.

There is a reason why criminal law has 'heat of passion' like variances, and why all homicides are not tried as murder. Biter still committed a crime.

"If these sides werre idealogically switched, there is no way I'd try and justify this act, and I'd probably mention what an embarassment it is for "our side"."

I'm saying without regards to political affiliation, and I'm not defending it. Remember a few years ago when a man got his testicles ripped off in a bar fight? These things happen in fights. Hopefully rare. I defend biter no more than testicle ripper, though I acknowledge getting punched in the face/wrestled/finger stuck in your mouth greatly increases the chance of it happening.

What I will say, if you look at the discussion on this that conservatives are saying, very few are criticizing the man for punching first.
And very few conservatives are saying what an embarassement it is for one of their supporters to have punched a man, resorting to violence in a political discussion.

You haven't mentioned, yet, what an embarrassment it is to have had the protester throw a punch. Can you find me one conservative site that does? How about 10?

Posted by: Dave at September 5, 2009 7:13 PM

The reason you won't is because the two acts - a punch vs. removing an appendage with your teeth - are so far apart on the morality scale for normal people. BTW, last I heard the biter hasn't been identified/caught yet. I take it his hiding means he's still caught up in all that mental frenzy we can't possibly understand uless we've been there. Sheesh.

Posted by: tsmonk at September 8, 2009 11:57 AM