September 23, 2009
WAR: Closing Ranks

Looks like the military leadership is unanimous - General Petraeus and Joint Chiefs Chairman Admiral Mullen have both backed Gen. McChrystal's recommendation for more troops in Afghanistan.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 8:36 PM | War 2007-12 | Comments (6) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

But what really matters is what Cliff the Mailman, I mean Joe Biden thinks since he is overseeing Afghanistan.

Posted by: dch at September 23, 2009 10:35 PM

Yes, it's truly a shocking development when military leaders favor more resources to fight their war. No need for further debate here, folks.

Crank, I'm curious: Obama supports our continuing involvement in this senseless war. How can you reconcile those two facts? Does it cause your head to explode?

Posted by: Mike at September 24, 2009 7:18 AM

I don't believe for a minute that Obama really wants to stay in Afghanistan. But he adopted that position when it was politically expedient (see! see! I can be a hawk too!!), and now, he's stuck with it.

Posted by: per14 at September 24, 2009 7:59 AM

I don't give a rat's ass why he's keeping us bogged down in that quagmire. I just care that he is.

And in that respect, he's no better than Bush.

Posted by: Mike at September 24, 2009 8:46 AM

In any respect, he's no better than Bush. Except in fawning media coverage.

Fixed that for ya.

Posted by: largebill at September 24, 2009 9:38 AM

"I don't believe for a minute that Obama really wants to stay in Afghanistan."

We'll find out. I find all of this speculation - and that's exactly what it is - completely premature and partisan.

And I think we *should* be involved militarily in Afghanistan at some level - it's the right fight. Reasonable minds can differ as to how to do it and the extent of it. Backing out entirely is absolutely the wrong answer.

Posted by: MVH at September 24, 2009 9:56 AM