October 5, 2009
BASEBALL: Hot Streak

Stat of the day: counting the postseason, Mariano Rivera has a 1.91 ERA over his last...974 appearances (242 ER, 1140.1 IP going back to the 1995 postseason).

Posted by Baseball Crank at 3:15 PM | Baseball 2009 | Comments (5) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

I had Grady Sizemore/Xavier Nady/Kevin Slowey/Morneau/Crede(ok I was tempting fate)/the 1st 2 As closers (bailey and whoever)/Coco Crisp and Blalock-and still came in 4th. Which is both depressing and encouraging.

I got Hill, Scutaro, Suzuki, Edwin Jackson for $15 total.

Posted by: dch at October 5, 2009 4:53 PM

Thought I was commenting on the post below.

Posted by: dch at October 5, 2009 4:54 PM

I hate the Yankees, but wow. it's hard not to admire Rivera. I'm glad I got to watch his career.

Posted by: per14 at October 6, 2009 1:29 PM

The only athlete you can sort of compare him to is Jordan with the Bulls, but then he came back with the Wiozards a shadow of himself. There has been no drop off yet for Rivera.

Posted by: dch at October 6, 2009 1:50 PM

As an avowwed Yankee hater I still have to give props to Mariano. He's a legendary closer (certainly in the "greatest of all-time discussion'), he's a horse, he's had an ERA under 2.00 9 times in his career, his career ERA+ is 202, he's arguably the greatest post-season reliever ever (although Papelbon has an ERA of 0.00 and a WHIP of 0.64 he does have less than 25% of Rivera's innings), his last 2 seasons are probably the best of his career and he is a stand up guy (the tip of the hat to the cheering Sox fans on opening day 2005 was classy in a tough situation). There won't be any arguing as to whether he goes to the HOF, just a matter of how many more years he takes the ball.

Posted by: jim at October 6, 2009 1:53 PM