July 27, 2010
BASEBALL: No No-No

With Matt Garza giving Rays fans a no-hitter last night, it's high time I re-ran this list - the Mets, now in their 49th season in the National League, have still never had a no-hitter, but they've had plenty of pitchers who did:

Pitchers Who Threw No-Hitters After Leaving The Mets:
Nolan Ryan (seven times, including for every other franchise he pitched for)
Tom Seaver
Mike Scott
Dwight Gooden
David Cone
Hideo Nomo

*Octavio Dotel (1 inning in combined no-hitter)

Pitchers Who Threw No-Hitters Before Coming To The Mets:
Warren Spahn (twice, albeit long before he was a Met)
Don Cardwell
Dock Ellis
John Candelaria
Bret Saberhagen
Kenny Rogers
Al Leiter
Hideo Nomo (got 'em on both ends)
Scott Erickson

**Pedro Martinez (9 perfect innings, but allowed hit in tenth; no longer officially counted as a no-hitter)
*Alejandro Pena (1 inning in combined no-hitter)
*Billy Wagner (1 inning in combined no-hitter - same one as Dotel)

If you count Pedro and leave out the relievers, that's 15 pitchers, 23 no-hitters, and one heck of a trivia question.

Posted by Baseball Crank at 10:38 AM | Baseball 2010 | Comments (16) | TrackBack (0)
Comments

Where do you get that data? (So I can compile that list for the Padres...)

Posted by: silverpie at July 27, 2010 11:55 AM

Went through the all-time list of no-hitters one at a time. There's no shortcut I know of, you just gotta know who's pitched for your team.

Posted by: Crank at July 27, 2010 11:57 AM

I would have thought the Mets would have at least one. The fact that your team started in 1962 doesn't help. Apart from the very recent expansion teams, I wonder how many others are in the same boat.

BTW, I had the amazing good luck of being at Yankee Stadium for David Cone's perfect game.

Posted by: MVH at July 27, 2010 12:58 PM

Well, you learn something new every day. For instance, I had no idea that Warren Spahn pitched for the Mets, or, for that matter, any team other than the Braves.

Posted by: Mark D at July 27, 2010 1:33 PM

A lot of washed up stars played for the Mets in the 1960's, including I think Duke Snyder and Yogi Berra. Yogi only had 7 at bats before quitting for good in 1965.

Posted by: steve at July 27, 2010 1:49 PM

Look at how many guys at the top of this list (hardest-throwing pitchers in 2010 by avg fastball speed) have thrown no-hitters. Jiminez, Verlander, Jackson, Buchholz, Garza, Lester, Burnett, Halladay ...

A few weeks ago I caught part of a broadcast with Rick Sutcliffe doing commentary, and he said that he thought there were more no-hitters as of late because there are more guys than ever who throw 95+ now. At first I wanted to dismiss this idea because Buehrle (perfect game), Braden (perfect game), Galarraga (perfect ** game), etc. don't throw especially hard. But if you look at this leaderboard, there's definitely something to the Red Baron's theory.

Posted by: Chris at July 27, 2010 2:20 PM

There is also some former Mets minor league players like Jim Bibby and AJ Burnett who threw no no's

Posted by: Larry at July 27, 2010 5:37 PM

It would seem that there are more pitchers than ever before with not only the high octane fastball but a reliable second (or in some cases third and fourth) pitch that can either be thrown for strikes or looks so much like the fastball out of the hand that even though it rarely is a strike there are lots of swings and misses/swings with poor results. Doesn't hurt that way less hitters are on 'roids these days. Last time there were this many no-nos? 1991. The year before Canseco went to the Rangers and 'roids went mainstream.

Posted by: jim at July 27, 2010 10:49 PM

My boy Evans got Garza's back holla...

Posted by: toni at July 28, 2010 2:28 PM

Here is another asterisk one: When I lived in Virginia Beach I remember watching Steve Traschel toss a no-hitter for Norfolk when the Mets sent him down for being ineffective. It was only a seven inning no-no since it was a minor league double header. They only play 7 inning double headers in the minors.

Posted by: largebill at July 28, 2010 5:45 PM

Chris - you reckon it's only speed though that is directly linked to no hitters!?

Posted by: acuvue oasys at July 28, 2010 5:51 PM

That's great. Check out www.thefantasybaseballguru.com leave comments ask qs and tell me what you think.

Posted by: Max at July 28, 2010 7:13 PM

Posted by: Max at July 28, 2010 7:14 PM

Posted by: Max at July 28, 2010 7:14 PM

Ah, I'd forgotten about Doc. Geez, that one's got to hurt worse than the others.

Posted by: Linus at July 29, 2010 12:36 AM

@ Acuvue -- of course not, as I mentioned in my previous post (Braden, Buehrle and Galarraga don't fit the pattern at all.) I just think it's interesting that if you just look at the top of the fastball velocity list, the list is now dominated by pitchers who have thrown no-hitters. A guy like Verlander isn't nasty just because he can throw the fastball 98-101 regularly; he's also nasty because he can almost hit 90 with a slider.

Posted by: Chris at July 30, 2010 9:28 AM